Research & publications
William E. Porter, MD, is a leading researcher in the field of urogynecology. Here is a partial list of publications and presentations he has contributed to, authored or co-authored.
(Book chapters & ad hoc reviews)
- Porter WE, Penney DC: Cyanide. In Webb AR, Shapiro MJ, Singer M, Suter PM (eds). Oxford Textbook of Critical Care. Oxford Publishing, Oxford, England. 647-649, 1999.
- Porter WE, Karram MM: Pathophysiology, diagnosis and management of rectocele. In Cardoza L, Staskin D (eds). The Textbook of Female Urology and Urogynecology. Isis Media Ltd., Oxford, England. 2001, 615-625.
- Porter WE, Summitt RL: Posterior Colporrhaphy. In Sciarra J (ed). Obstetrics and Gynecology. Lippincott and Williams, New York. 2003.
- Porter WE, Summitt RL: The Pathophysiology, Diagnosis, and Management of Rectoceles. In GLOWM (Global Library of Women’s Medicine), October 2008
- Porter WE, Penney DG. Nitroprusside, A Cyanide Containing Drug: Recognizing the Dangers. Providence Hospital Medical Bulletin, 1996; 9(1): 23-28.
- Porter WE, Steele A, Kohli N, Walsh P, Karram MM,: The Anatomic and Functional Outcome of Defect-Specific Rectocele Repair. Am J Obstet Gynecol Dec 1999; 181(6): 1353-8.
National and international meetings published in abstract form
- Porter WE, Steele A, Kohli N, Walsh P, Karram MM: The Anatomic and Functional Outcome of Defect-Specific Rectocele Repair. Society of Gynecologic Surgeons Meeting, San Diego, California, March 1999.
- Porter WE, Steele A, Kohli N, Walsh P, Karram MM: The Anatomic and Functional Outcome of Defect-Specific Rectocele Repair. International Urogynecology Association, Denver, Colorado, August 1999.
- Porter WE, Haynes K, Lipscomb GH, Summitt RL, JR.: Oophorectomy at the Time of Vaginal Hysterectomy: A Prospective Study. Society of Gynecologic Surgeons Meeting, Dallas, TX, March 2002.
- Porter WE, Yang C, Vogt V, Summitt RL Jr.: Isometric Detrusor Contraction During a Voiding Study: Its Meaning and Clinical Implications. American Urogynecology Society Meeting, San Francisco, CA October 2002.
- Porter WE, Lipscomb GH, Stovall T, Ling F, Summitt RL, Jr.: A Prospective Randomized Comparison of Scalpel vs. Electrosurgery for Abdominal Incisions in Gynecologic Surgery. Central Association of Obstetrics and Gynecology Meeting. Las Vegas, NV October 2002.
- Porter WE, Horton TR, Vogt VY, Summitt RL Jr: Historical and Physical Factors Predictive of Successful Pessary Use: American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Annual Clinical Meeting, New Orleans, LA April 2003.
- Porter WE, Horton TR, Vogt VY, Summitt RL Jr: Genital Prolapse Symptoms and Quality of Life Parameters Associated with Pessary Use: American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Annual Clinical Meeting, New Orleans, LA April 2003.
- Porter WE, Addis A, Vogt VY, Summitt RL Jr: Intrinsic Sphincter Deficiency: Association with Historical, Physical and Urodynamic Findings: American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Annual Clinical Meeting, New Orleans, LA April 2003.
- Head and neck squamous cell cancer and the relevance of tumor marker P54.
- Efficacy and Safety of Duloxetine Compared with Placebo in Subjects with Symptoms of Bladder Overactivity Due to Pure Detrusor Instability or Sensory Urgency (Protocol # F1J-MC-SBBL)
- Predictors of Successful Pessary Management
- Prospective, Randomized, Double-Blind Multicenter, Comparative Trial to Evaluate The Efficacy and Safety of Ciprofloxacin Once Daily Extended Release 500 mg Tablets QD for 3 Days Versus Conventional Ciprofloxacin 250 mg Tablets BID for 3 days in the Treatment of Patients with Uncomplicated Urinary Tract (uUTI) Infections (Bayer Study #100398)
- Identifying Bladder-Origin Pelvic Pain/Interstitial Cystitis in Gynecologic Patients and Their Treatment with Pentosan Polysulfate vs. Placebo.
- Normal Values for Vaginal Cone Weights in Asymptomatic Women.
- A Double Blind, Randomized, Placebo and Active Controlled Safety and Efficacy Study of Bazedoxifene/Conjugated Estrogens Combinations in Postmenopausal Women
- Assessment of the Efficacy of Tolterodine ER vs. Placebo for the Symptom of Urgency and the Improvement in Bladder Condition (DETAOD-0084-047)
- Long Term Monitoring of Safety in Subjects Treated with Duloxetine for Bladder Overactivity (F1j-MC-SBBX)
- A Prospective Multicenter Clinical Study on a New Approach in Treating Stress and Mixed Urinary Incontinence and Vaginal Vault Prolapse.
- An Observational, Pilot Study to determine the prevalence of Genital Herpes Infection in individuals who present to healthcare professionals complaining of pre-defined genital signs/symptoms.
- Sanctura Study to Evaluate Control of Urinary Symptoms Resulting From OAB.
- A Double-Blind, Multicenter, International, Randomized, Placebo-Controlled Study of Safety and Efficacy of Trospium Chloride 60mg Modified Release Capsules Versus Placebo, Once Daily, for 12 Weeks Followed by a 9 – Month, Open-Label Treatment Phase in Patients with Overactive Bladder.
- IVS Tunnler, Long Term Success of Pelvic Floor Prolapse and Stress Incontinence.
- Prefyx Sling. Long Term Observation Registry
- Objective and Subjective Outcomes of Porcine SIS Graft Augmentation In Vaginal Prolapse Surgery.